Valve to Greenlight developers: Stop trading keys for votes

edited February 2015 in General Chat
Valve has asked developers with games listed on Steam Greenlight to stop trading game keys for votes, saying it puts them "in a really uncomfortable position.

Full article here: http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/10/8011083/steam-greenlight-free-keys-votes
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/valve-tells-developers-to-stop-giving-away-game-keys-in-exchange-for-greenlight-votes
Freekill246Lord_WickiSeagateGhostps58CRISTIAN1ELITEand 1 other.

Comments

• Hmm but those bundles with greenlight games wont be effected by this right?
  • Ur harry cat wizard
  • Wouldn't this basically kill WGN Greenlight giveaways?
  • Overall, I'm actually happy with this change. For one, it means less people trying to pressure me into helping developers who promised free keys but forgot to get a distribution system :)
    chrisxon said:

Wouldn't this basically kill WGN Greenlight giveaways?

Yes, it would but we weren't doing them any more anyway. We've had a lot of giveaways recently for Steam and Desura games not to mention how many giveaways we've done on the live stream!
    iladrionpropasSeagateGhostTreadLifeK3W3Land 4 others.
  • @Carlmundo actually they also talk about contest. But on WGN a greenlight vote is not required to enter those contests... so yeah :)
  • I know :) This news is fairly old but only got into the public domain today.

I hope that this change means people can start to see what we're really about :)
    Premchand
  • I personally don't think this would kill this site. Nothing is to stop those devs from contacting Carl about having a giveaway once they get greenlit. They just wouldn't be able to wave that carrot over our heads saying if we vote we can get a copy.

But even then i am really glad they made the change to try and stop the key giveaways, far too many got through greenlight that had no place getting through it just because they gave away free copies.
    Premchand
  • I personally don't think this would kill this site. Nothing is to stop those devs from contacting Carl about having a giveaway once they get greenlit. They just wouldn't be able to wave that carrot over our heads saying if we vote we can get a copy.

But even then i am really glad they made the change to try and stop the key giveaways, far too many got through greenlight that had no place getting through it just because they gave away free copies.

steam is not gonna do anything for now, they are just trying to show what they think about "buying votes"
  • edited February 2015
    Honestly its nothing but the usual stupid talk from Valve, its like they would say "Please please dont be mean and try to gather vote with free steam keys, okay?"
    faboitas
  • edited February 2015
    If you read it carefully. Valve want to lessen the "bribery" problem in Greenlight. People like Carl and other developer can still do a massive giveaway but they cannot request for vote. Maybe make vote optional for everyone and not a requirement. Still valve won't punish or remove a page for people doing giveaway. That just look like ripping away the developer rights to distribute games for free to friends and families and doing some small .

And also I was planning a multiple group giveaway for my own games but If I do a massive greenlight giveaway I always say that vote is optional I won't force them to vote and I will still give them a game even if they didn't voted for it. If you want a free copy but don't want to vote, Go ahead and join the giveaway. Not like No vote NO game kind of like that. It not just greenlight that have it's reputation ruined because of it but also the developer who started the giveaway as well will be affected if they do a massive giveaway that required a vote and that is bad publicity stunt.

As a Game developer and also the head of a certain group that allowed developers giveaway.
    I would recommended to all the game developer to not do a giveaway that required votes. maybe you can do a mass giveaway but after it's greenlit or only as a optional thing.
    It will just going to hurt your reputation as a developer and you might going to have a bad reputation on the gaming community as a whole.

I don't agreed that developer have to stop giving away games just like valve said but do it moderately and not for the votes. But for your players and your reputation.

hopefully what I say will be a good thing for the developers and also the WGN and the steam community as a whole.
  • Carlmundo said:

Overall, I'm actually happy with this change. For one, it means less people trying to pressure me into helping developers who promised free keys but forgot to get a distribution system :)

chrisxon said:

Wouldn't this basically kill WGN Greenlight giveaways?

Yes, it would but we weren't doing them any more anyway. We've had a lot of giveaways recently for Steam and Desura games not to mention how many giveaways we've done on the live stream!
    But you giving to all, no to voters ;). You have option :D...
    SpaceDwarves
  • Maybe make vote optional for everyone and not a requirement

I hope you aren't referring to WGN because voting was not a requirement from us!
  • well there goes this website
  • CocoPuffs said:

well there goes this website

Not at all, there's much more to the site if you look around :)
    PremchandWylusK3W3LGamerMaximas
  • Carlmundo said:

CocoPuffs said:

well there goes this website

Not at all, there's much more to the site if you look around :)
    Curl has amazing plans, you don't even wanna know.
  • I think this will give us a chance to show that is is not a bribe site. Companies like ours need to find out who will be playing our games. Hence the giveaways.

But now if developers give keys away after green light or just to find out who would play thier games then I think more people would take this site more serious.

The games that would give keys away here would be of better quality also for you the community.

PremchandK3W3Lwolf003CarlmundoGamerMaximas
  • Carlmundo said:

Maybe make vote optional for everyone and not a requirement

I hope you aren't referring to WGN because voting was not a requirement from us!
    I am referring to every developer out there even outside WGN!?! honestly some of the giveaway I joined... I didn't vote for some because it not good.

• Damn, like many I'm pretty sure that we are here just for the free easy-to-grab games. Still I think that Valve has made the right call.
  • edited February 2015
    Mushe said:

Damn, like many I'm pretty sure that we are here just for the free easy-to-grab games. Still I think that Valve has made the right call.

I don't know why people are overlooking this but we are giving out lots of free stuff as of late that wasn't for a Greenlight promotion.
    K3W3LJAZZPremchandboxanata
  • Finally Valve gets a shoutout for those developers . You know it's bad maybe really bad and it's just not gonna pass greenlight..well.. let's buy some votes. Fine you get past greenlight , you get on steam , on the first page , but who's gonna buy it? Who's gonna play it other than the poeple you gave the keys to.... if you even did. Greenlight is bad as it is but if it would get a little bit of attention and curation it might become a good thing. But until then it is what it is...
    Abderahmaneee