The dragon, Cancer aka whats truly wrong with the gaming community

edited March 2016 in General Chat
Basically not long ago, a game called (as the thread title implies) The dragon cancer was released on Steam It was basically a short and very much emotional /metaphorical game about the devs son, Joel's struggle with cancer (who sadly didnt survived)

It didnt took long enough for the worst people to start basically flaming threads directed at the devs, accusing him of trying to monetise on his son's death and many other things that one can sadly expect from ppl who are only there to spew hate.

Now dont get me wrong, there is perfectly room for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (not equal with "omgah, thiz game suckz, go die" kind of intelligent comments.)

What bothers me the most and this is where we are getting to the meat of things: the fact that people (more often than not)

1. Assume immediately malice

2. Cant accept that video games can be much more than mindless time wasters: they can be also a form of art, of self expressions. Games that make you think

Until we can reach to the second point, its foolish to assume that video games finally became on equal level with music, paintings or movies, as long as games that dare to be different, unique are treated as the garbage bin, called "walking simulators" and such

Am I being neutral on this matter? Probably not, but thats because it boils my blood that devs with the solemn goal of making a game about what seems to be considered as "taboo" gets treated like (ᵔᴥᵔ).

Cancer is not a joke, and it affects so many of us. I dont want to sound emotional but Im literally in tears right now when typing this, because my grandmother died in cancer, Markiplier and many other youtubers have been battling this, heck Totalbiscuit (to who I look up with the most outright respect) got diagnosed with terminal cancer!

Its just awful, it really is. And for all those hate parading people (though im quite confident nobody from our community would lower him/herself to that level): you are some bunch of heartless people who dont deserve to be call themselves gamers.

I apologise if I sounded too dramatic, I really needed to get this off my chest. Plus being clued to my bed with stomach flue didnt reay help matters.
Kouman

Comments

  • edited March 2016
    Sad story really. Back then games are some form of art and it should've been till now.
    This is basically Depression Quest all over again. (devs get slammed for no reason)
  • edited March 2016
    stryver12 said:

    Sad story really. Back then games are some form of art and it should've been till now.
    This is basically Depression Quest all over again. (devs get slammed for no reason)

    Tbh the whole Depression Quest drama was more revolved around the whole Gamergate ethics and such

    Without going intoo too much details about that as its not really a subject that we should discuss here (and I dont blame Carl for that, as its a subject that usually quickly degenerates into pointless arguments): in my opinion the flaming was,more about that than anything, the fact that the game was considered by many to be bad just served as additional fuel for ppl to take a jab at her.
  • Tatsuya said:

    stryver12 said:

    Sad story really. Back then games are some form of art and it should've been till now.
    This is basically Depression Quest all over again. (devs get slammed for no reason)

    Tbh the whole Depression Quest drama was more revolved around the whole Gamergate ethics and such

    Without going intoo too much details about that as its not really a subject that we should discuss here (and I dont blame Carl for that, as its a subject that usually quickly degenerates into pointless arguments): in my opinion the flaming was,more about that than anything, the fact that the game was considered by many to be bad just served as additional fuel for ppl to take a jab at her.
    sadly a lot of people are like that, take: always the same blue sky. is in example. its a small 10m visual novel that litterly has less then 20 options in the entire game, reviews: mostly positive 90% and dropped to very positive 81% recently. my review of it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GodOfConquest_YandereMurtida/recommended/363410

    and lets take Naruto Shippuden ultimate ninja storm 4: had a mixed reviews it 36% it some point because a lot of people dont actually meet its requirements, its around 70% positive now.
    so how does a small 10m visual novel has a better reviews then over 50+ hour anime based action game?
    alot of people hate on great stuff but surprisingly like the bad stuff ( same is mentioned about art in the OP ).
    its like people praise the bad art and despise the good one because of silly reasons is getting it for free....
    which is why i hate talking to random people claiming to be gamers...
  • Murtida said:

    Tatsuya said:

    stryver12 said:

    Sad story really. Back then games are some form of art and it should've been till now.
    This is basically Depression Quest all over again. (devs get slammed for no reason)

    Tbh the whole Depression Quest drama was more revolved around the whole Gamergate ethics and such

    Without going intoo too much details about that as its not really a subject that we should discuss here (and I dont blame Carl for that, as its a subject that usually quickly degenerates into pointless arguments): in my opinion the flaming was,more about that than anything, the fact that the game was considered by many to be bad just served as additional fuel for ppl to take a jab at her.
    sadly a lot of people are like that, take: always the same blue sky. is in example. its a small 10m visual novel that litterly has less then 20 options in the entire game, reviews: mostly positive 90% and dropped to very positive 81% recently. my review of it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GodOfConquest_YandereMurtida/recommended/363410

    and lets take Naruto Shippuden ultimate ninja storm 4: had a mixed reviews it 36% it some point because a lot of people dont actually meet its requirements, its around 70% positive now.
    so how does a small 10m visual novel has a better reviews then over 50+ hour anime based action game?
    alot of people hate on great stuff but surprisingly like the bad stuff ( same is mentioned about art in the OP ).
    its like people praise the bad art and despise the good one because of silly reasons is getting it for free....
    which is why i hate talking to random people claiming to be gamers...
    Yeah, I really need to agree with you. Also, if you ask me, stupidity and hate is an ugly thing. Hate only makes things worse, not better.
  • I also lost my grandmother recently from lung cancer. People tend to not understand these awful diseases if they have not been through this in their family environment..
  • Papo & YO then? What's that for this horrible people?

    The gaming community must grow up.
Please Sign in to comment.