Join the Coupon Trashcan Steam group, or WTH is this scam?

edited November 2016 in General Chat
This recent promotion requires to join Coupon Trashcan group, and I have to say, this stuff is shady at the least.
Guys are buying Steam coupons for real money, which is already a violation of SSA. As if that wasn't enough, minimal payment requires at least 200 coupons and is transferred to some unknown payment system. Users are required to keep proofs of sent coupons and keep track of their balance themselves, so there's no automation too.
I get that WGN just provides a promotion service and is not affiliated with the ones they promote and stuff, but I think you guys lowered the bar too much here. Yes, I expect those few who gonna use that group's offer to get scammed.

Comments

• thanks for the information
  • yep, even lower then digital homocide, they removed my comment on the group page when i called out for them scamming.
    like 100$ to cash out? 1$ is reasonable not 100$ which takes like 8 months, and by that time they remove the text about them buying coupons and tell you to shut up
  • edited November 2016
    thanks for letting us know, I will make sure to make the necessary steps about this

gonna talk with Carl about this, at the time being I sent a PM to Killahinstinct (steam global mod), as he hopefully can do something about this.

Dont forget to flag the group however.
  • Thank you for bringing this to my attention and thanks Tatsuya for bringing it to my attention.

As you correctly stated, we just provided the platform for this giveaway. One of our current services is providing a "gleam" like page so it definitely wasn't my intention to advertise something like this.

I have removed the group from the page and will speak to the owner.

Your feedback is always welcome so if this is to happen again in future, don't hesitate to let me know.!
  • edited November 2016
    I help run the community that owns Coupon Trashcan, we were unaware that this was against the Steam Subscriber Agreement, but have however now changed the group's purpose, and we are no longer accepting coupons in return for real money. Users can still send us coupons, but only in return for coupons they want. Thank you for pointing this out.
  • I help run the community that owns Coupon Trashcan, we were unaware that this was against the Steam Subscriber Agreement, but have however now changed the group's purpose, and we are no longer accepting coupons in return for real money. Users can still send us coupons, but only in return for coupons they want. Thank you for pointing this out.

Happy to hear this got resolved
  • I help run the community that owns Coupon Trashcan, we were unaware that this was against the Steam Subscriber Agreement, but have however now changed the group's purpose, and we are no longer accepting coupons in return for real money. Users can still send us coupons, but only in return for coupons they want. Thank you for pointing this out.

Hope users there get a "compensation" or something as i think some people probably had some money accumulated (unless you are too new).