[Closed] Is there are formula to when steam drops cards?

edited April 6 in General Chat
I'm wondering if card drops are completely random or if there are certain factors that make them drop.

I came up with this question when I noticed I just got 2 cards within 1 hour from a game, as you can see here:
http://i.imgur.com/ptaPGUU.png - I remember only getting cards like every 3 hours of idled time.

Thank you for any information on this topic! :)

-nurax*

Comments

• To drop cards use the IdleMaster application.

Download link -> http://www.steamidlemaster.com/
    Lone_Destroyer
  • That's what I do, aswell as using HrBoostr.

I don't think you got my Question right :smiley:
  • edited January 4
    steam dont drop cards, games drop cards... and no, some games uses 3 hours, some 8 hours, some games drops 3 cards, some 5, some 8 cards... a lot of changeable things... you cant calculate the time...
  • edited January 4
    Nobody above understood the question.

Steam's algorithm works as such: if you've never refunded a game before, there is no wait period before a game will start dropping cards. If you have refunded a game, there's a two-hour delay before they start dropping. Mobile verification or the size of the user's library has no effect on when cards drop, best as I can tell.

There are also instances where starting or shutting down a game will cause a card to drop. Multiple cards can also drop at once.
    brutalistuJAZZnicasiodechiaWeeaboo ShitlordPNFM82and 5 others.
  • edited January 4
    Also I noticed this algorithm is affected if a developers decides to remove a game from your library because "stolen keys" . (I am looking at SpaceCom and the one with wizards... the name eludes me right now, not Magika)
    nuraxcs
  • edited January 4
    Thank you, crazyrabbits, for answering my question best. :)

And thanks to all the others for taking your time just to answer aswell ^^

I wish you all many card drops,
    -nurax* :D
  • It's not correct though, my main account has refunded games and still drops cards instantly. If at all it might be something about total money spent vs refunded but I can't say.

Trade restricted accounts, on the other hand, take 2 hours before they drop cards (trade restriction happens upon chargebacks or if you haven't bought anything in I think over a year).

Once past the minimum time, card drops get triggered when a game ends. They'll also eventually drop if you just keep letting it idle but it'll take much much longer.
  • edited January 4
    Thanks for letting me know, 8754. :)
  • It's random. I never refunded a game and most of the time I get card drop after 2 hours. But not always, some times I can get card drops before, like 1h30m or instantly (or a few minutes). Sadly other times, not very often luckly, I don´t get drops for a long time, like 4 hours.
    On a alt restricted account and other 3 alt non restricted accounts, waiting time to start drops is the same: 1.5-2 hours most of the time but can be before or after.
    Removed keys and trade restrictions doesn´t seem to affect drop either.
    And drops depends of Steam, not games (like ParaibaOPK said). I contacted 2 devs and both told me the same. They don't have controls on card drops.
    In summary, in this 3.5 years of trading cards (since mid 2013) with my 5 accounts none of those factors seems to affect me. I have no refunds, 1 account with a removed key, 1 was restricted for long time. By now none of them have waiting restriction trade, but for long time (until last month) 2 of them had no wait restriction trade and 3 of them do had (1 and 7 days).
  • starting or shutting down games should work
  • ParaibaOPK answered the question like a dumbass.
    Guest1982
  • edited January 6
    Maybe your steam account has become unrestricted. Restricted accounts are usually new accounts which might have refunded so they drop cards after 2 hours while unrestricted accounts are just old accounts (not sure about refund policy for old accounts).
  • edited January 6
    what is HrBoostr? i cant seem to find it on google?
  • QMAKiller said:

what is HrBoostr? i cant seem to find it on google?

Here you go, man :)
    https://github.com/Ezzpify/HourBoostr
  • I noticed that for some games you have to exit idle master (or the game itself if you are actually playing it) and it drops the cards. This happened 4 times for me when I was idling a game and when i exited it dropped the cards. I then did it 3 other times and it dropped the cards just like that.
  • I noticed that for some games you have to exit idle master (or the game itself if you are actually playing it) and it drops the cards. This happened 4 times for me when I was idling a game and when i exited it dropped the cards. I then did it 3 other times and it dropped the cards just like that.

Had that happening to me too :)
    You can also just click through them and let them run for around 6 seconds each,
    works if they are "close" to a drop anyway...
  • I figured they usually start dropping after 2 hours (even though I've never refunded a game), but sometimes the dropping gets "stuck", and cards won't drop.
    In that case I close the games in order to "release it", and then the card usually drops, and then I can reopen the game and it will start working on the next card.
    However it won't start working on the next card until you get the current card from the game, so it only works on one card from each game at the time.
    You can open more than one game and have it working on multiple game cards at the same time, though it might result more than one game getting stuck at the same time, so you will have to close them all in order to release them.

If it's been over 3 hours and you didn't get your first card drop, that probably means it got stuck, so you should close it and the card will probably drop.
    After the first card, whenever it's been over 2 hours with no new card you should restart the game.

And another thing is that games that have a lot of cards (such as games that throw 8 cards) usually drop cards faster than other games, after the first card (first one still takes about two hours).

This is all based on my personal use, and I actually install and open the games on my computer.
  • I figured they usually start dropping after 2 hours (even though I've never refunded a game), but sometimes the dropping gets "stuck", and cards won't drop.
    In that case I close the games in order to "release it", and then the card usually drops, and then I can reopen the game and it will start working on the next card.
    However it won't start working on the next card until you get the current card from the game, so it only works on one card from each game at the time.
    You can open more than one game and have it working on multiple game cards at the same time, though it might result more than one game getting stuck at the same time, so you will have to close them all in order to release them.

If it's been over 3 hours and you didn't get your first card drop, that probably means it got stuck, so you should close it and the card will probably drop.
    After the first card, whenever it's been over 2 hours with no new card you should restart the game.

And another thing is that games that have a lot of cards (such as games that throw 8 cards) usually drop cards faster than other games, after the first card (first one still takes about two hours).

This is all based on my personal use, and I actually install and open the games on my computer.

Thank you very much. HourBoostr has a function to auto-restart games after 3 hours and idles unlimited games simultaneously. (as many as steam can handle at a time!)

So I just enter the game ids, and after the night I have all them cards :)
  • Are programs that idle your game legal on steam's rules? Does anyone have any official word on that? And is HourBoostr safe to enter your steam account on?
  • edited January 15
    Also, another interesting information related:
    When I was new to steam I used my first badge coupon to buy a game that I wanted to get the cards of and sell, but it's been a few hours (like over 4 hours) and the cards didn't drop. I started searching the game discussion hub, and found a comment from the actual developer of the game, who said something like "the game is set to the lowest drop rate possible on steam", which might imply that there are actually different drop rates to different games, though he never said if he chose the drop rate himself or had any control over it.