Paid mods will be back, again on Steam Workshop (hurray?)

edited February 12 in General Chat
Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/

Honestly this is my reaction to this in a nutshell:

The problem is NOT the fact that modders want to get paid

The problem is with the percentage of splits first and foremost. Secondly the fact that when you have 99 percent of people barely even donating money to mooders, why in the world would a paywall just change that? Mod piracy has been a thing ever since the first drama blew over and I can guarantee you that people will be reviving that scene if needed.

Bottomline is: all this does is stirring hate yet again between users and modders, and transforming this into another profit chase, involving stealing mods and copycatting.

Valve, please, dont shoot yourself in the foot.
JAZZS. ELIAS 46. BH

Comments

• Just let us donate them with steam wallet IF WE WANT. Problem solved.
    People will not pay for mods if they do not want even if you try to force them.
    CiberMenGamerTheMasterSoldierporoltoCazack16brutalistuand 2 others.
  • JAZZ said:

Just let us donate them with steam wallet IF WE WANT. Problem solved.

exactly this

sadly this is something that all those people playing the apologist for a broken from the start system couldnt comprehend and instead acted like everyone protesting were entitled.
    JAZZTheMasterSoldierporolto
  • JAZZ said:

Just let us donate them with steam wallet IF WE WANT. Problem solved.

Goddamnit, that is such a good idea.
  • voluntary donate button and that's all.
    otherwise we will see mods will be pirated too.
    forcing users to pay mods never is a good approach
    JAZZ
  • if this happens, rip workshop
  • nexus or curse will get over it
  • why can't valve just forget it....
  • "Modders 'absolutely' need to be paid" .. and valve will take a cut. That is what this is about... not about modder getting paid... Also is Valve gonna do QA (lol) i don't want to spend money on a broken mod
  • Kind of glad Nexus and the whole actual community exists outside of Valve control :)
  • edited February 15
    GabeN: Hey, dudes. Guess what?
    Steam Users: Half Life 3 confirmed?
    GN: No. Remember the disaster of the Paid Skyrim Mods?
    SU: Yeah....?
    GN: We're bringing it back. Modders deserve to be paid (and we deserve a cut from that too)
    SU:... But what about Half Life 3?
    GN: Cut that (ᵔᴥᵔ) already.
    JAZZTheMasterSoldierstryver12Vise_reVenAnt
  • edited February 15
    Overall, it not worth it regardless of what method you use. Steam is too big a platform for scammers to not want to copy mods to make a quick buck. There is no logical safeguard against this without somehow hurting modders or users indirectly. Leave donations to Nexus and Paypal.
  • Valve has an allergy against "hiring new personnel". Sadly there is no cure.
  • I think that mod makers should be paid. If they provide content they should be paid. Some mega mods for Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc. do come to mind of people who should be paid.

However...

Valve needs to step up and curate the Steam Workshop and the storefront if they insist on this. Especially if they take a cut of the profit. My 2 cents.
  • HeadClot said:

I think that mod makers should be paid. If they provide content they should be paid. Some mega mods for Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc. do come to mind of people who should be paid.

However...

Valve needs to step up and curate the Steam Workshop and the storefront if they insist on this. Especially if they take a cut of the profit. My 2 cents.

The problem isnt with this. I may add though, donations were always a viable option since like forever.

However lets keep in mind that many people wont ever pay for mods, thats sadly the reality of things. Curating the system would be indeed absolutely necessary, some VERY strict one, otherwise the same surreal mess will occur again, because anyone whos been on steam long enough knows that a good chunk of the community will jump on any opportunity to exploit the system to the max.
    itom213 said:

voluntary donate button and that's all.

very much this, unless mod makers want to get into the whole pointless cat and mouse chase
  • itom213 said:

voluntary donate button and that's all.

You got the right idea.
    Also Steam had done this before. Well, sorta.
    Remember map stamps in TF2?
    Completely optional. Not too expensive. And you always get thanked by the game each time you join a match on the map. (also free dumb looking hat)

@Tatsuya Maybe VALVe could get people interested in donating to mods if they offer dumb trinkets like the ones you get from map stamps in TF2?
    I dunno. Trading cards to build a Workshop themed badge?
  • Better download all afterbirth mods then, unless they would be revoked if they are paid.