Adiós Greenlight - Steam Direct?

edited March 16 in General Chat
http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

So, Valve will shut down the whole Steam Greenlight-program, maybe because of this mass of cheap games and and cheating developers. There will be a new procedure called "Steam Direct". With Direct, developers must pay a fee between $100 and $5000 (Greenlight fee: $90), showing Valve papers about personal thing, things about the "company" and tax documents and it's done. No community vote, nothing. Steam wants to be more serious and be wide open for new developers and having just "high quality" games on the store.

Well, at first I'm happy that then there won't be awesome titles like the whole DH stuff anymore and also I think it's good when Valve stops the corrupt "keys-for-vote"-thing... But: If the fee will belong to $5000 (or higher, we all know our little GabeN), many developers with good games don't havee a chance to publish their games on Steam...

What's your opinion?
stapheenFrancsisco_itu

Comments

• greenlight fee was 90€
  • and im sure the game fees will be according to the anual incomes
  • its too late now...too many garbages have been released since the beginning...
  • Are they still going to give the fees to Child's Play Charity?
  • Yeah yeah.
    But what about Half Life 3, GabeN?
    Vise_reVenAnthuntitus
  • Yeah yeah.

Probably never going to get released, right now even GabeN doesn't want to have anything to do with that, in the AMA he said that his biggest error was Xen.
    The porting of today's games to Source 2 will go first, apparently.

In other news, now I'm happy that no more retarded stuff like Forge of Gods, Forge of Gods 2 (which is in greenlight and all the screenshots and the video were stolen from an Unreal Engine showcase video, no editing, nothing changed), 123 Slaughter Me Street 1 and 2, and Its your last chance in new school.
  • I'm afraid that current Steam Greenlight titles (I mean only good ones added RECENTLY, not random craps) not greenlit'et yet - will be deleted and miss the chance :disappointed:
  • My thoughts on this... Mixed.

The 5k fee is terrible for actual devs who just want to make good games. However this could be covered by a Kickstarter fee. It would keep most visual novels games out of Steam. Most VN games do not make much. Some do really well tho...

I doubt it will keep the Trash games out. Curation is the way to go IMHO
  • HeadClot said:

My thoughts on this... Mixed.

The 5k fee is terrible for actual devs who just want to make good games. However this could be covered by a Kickstarter fee. It would keep most visual novels games out of Steam. Most VN games do not make much. Some do really well tho...

I doubt it will keep the Trash games out. Curation is the way to go IMHO

Not trying to sound snarky but you know greenlight was initially intended to be curation system operated by the community to decide what gets on and potentially filter out the crap, right?

• Yeah yeah.

Probably never going to get released, right now even GabeN doesn't want to have anything to do with that, in the AMA he said that his biggest error was Xen.
    The porting of today's games to Source 2 will go first, apparently.

In other news, now I'm happy that no more retarded stuff like Forge of Gods, Forge of Gods 2 (which is in greenlight and all the screenshots and the video were stolen from an Unreal Engine showcase video, no editing, nothing changed), 123 Slaughter Me Street 1 and 2, and Its your last chance in new school.
    Im not exactly sure 123 Slaughter me Street series is a good example, as regardless of whether or not the game may look and play like a shallow FNAF clone, both have some overall positive reiews, whichs means that most buyers are pretty satisfied with it.

Then again not trying to dismiss your opinion on the subject, because it is equally just valid, however lets not put that into the same basket as lets say, Digihom games
  • Unturned was a pretty good greenlight game (the free DayZ but playable)
  • Hopefully this will end those stupid shitty simulators on the store, but serious developers will have to be intelligent to get their things done. Some great ideas may be delayed, unknown or even forgotten because of that. Would be cool if Steam make something like a Kickstarter, so people wouldn't just have to vote for a game to be published, but have to INVEST on it. I think this would probably reduce the shitty-game-simulator sickness, and also make people think if the game they're helping are actually good and worthy.
    Zorri
  • Unturned was a pretty good greenlight game (the free DayZ but playable)

Unturned really was (maybe still is, haven't played lately) a really high quality game for being free. :)
  • Does anyone know if they'll still give the fee's proceeds to the Child's Play Charity?
  • Oh don't worry guys, low quality games are not gone. Valve think quality is subjective.
  • Gira said:

Oh don't worry guys, low quality games are not gone. Valve think quality is subjective.

It really is.
  • edited March 22
    Gira said:

Oh don't worry guys, low quality games are not gone. Valve think quality is subjective.

To be fair, as much as I hate to play the devil's advocate here: even clear shovelware games such as Bad Rats are played and enjoyed by many, even if its in a heavily ironical /novelty context

Ive been saying this many times and I can only repeat myself: Valve gave people the choice to upvoten games they want to see on Steam. If the community cannot decide for itself and they were screaming at Valve that they want to see more games: what exactly should they do?